Enjoy This Wonderful Sweet Allergy Friendly Dessert
I’m here to take you on a unique allergy friendly voyage. Do you find yourself shying away from certain international dishes due to dietary restrictions? Well, we have a delightful surprise in store for you. This new series tweaks some of the best loved foods from around the world. Now, you, too, can enjoy a broader array of savory and sweet flavors. To get started, don your beret. We’re heading to Europe’s heart land to take a closer look at a much beloved dessert. Also, don’t forget Kitchology’s Eat.Better app also has a slew of recipes to explore the world.
Ooh la la…France. It’s home to some of the most amazing pastries in the world! Ever heard of Clafoutis or Clafouti (depending on your origin)? Typically this baked dessert is made with black cherries and covered with a thick flan-like batter. It is also sometimes served with cream. For our allergy friendly version we’re soaking our cherries in brandy. Ooh la la, indeed!
Allergy Friendly Brandied Cherry Clafoutis
2 cups canned tart cherries, drained
1/4 cup brandy (or apple juice)
2/3 cup white sugar, divided
1 cup rice milk
2/3 cup gluten free flour blend
I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 flour blend
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
- Soak the cherries, brandy and 1/3 cup sugar in a bowl for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Place the cherries in the pie pan saving the remaining brandy.
- Pour the brandy into a blender with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, rice milk, gluten free flour, eggs, lemon zest, salt, and allspice to the blender. Pulse mixture until batter is smooth. It will be very liquid like. Pour over cherries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350. Continue baking 45 to 50 minutes until the top is golden and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and dust with confectioners’ sugar to serve.allergy friendly dishes from around the world