Can Healthy Coleslaw Deliver The Most Rewarding Benefits?
Coleslaw is a traditional favorite side dish for many due to its slightly sweet crunchy taste. But, did you know that its main ingredient — cabbage — has really great health benefits too? So, instead of indulging in its more well known style of preparation, today we are going to remake it focusing on that main ingredient.
Cabbage belongs to the cruciferous vegetables family, along with brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower. What’s sets it apart though is that it is an excellent source of sinigrin, a compound useful for helping to prevent colon, prostate, and bladder cancers.
In order to reap all of its benefits and absorb the wonderful nutrients in raw cabbage, you need to be able to digest it really well. That can sometimes be a difficult task. This vegetable cabbage has a coarse hard feel to it. A majority have trouble digesting these types of foods, often experiencing bloating or gassy symptoms. To counteract that unpleasantness,
I’m here to share with you my healthy easily digestible version:
- Small Organic Cabbage
- Cup Sliced Raw Almonds
- 1 Lime
- 8-10 Cilantro Leaves
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tea spoon Black Pepper
- 1 or 1 1/2 tea spoons Sea Salt
- Either buy already shredded cabbage or shred it yourself.
- Place the shredded cabbage in a bowl.
- Add the sliced almonds.
- Wash and chop cilantro leaves fine.
- In a cup or bowl, add cilantro leaves, olive oil, vinegars, freshly squeezed lime and spices and mix dressing well.
- Pour over the cabbage and almonds
- Using your hands to squeeze the cabbage, mix all of the ingredients and dressing for about 2 min.(Hand mixing helps soften the cabbage allowing it to better absorb the juices from the dressing.)
- Let coleslaw soak another hour in the dressing before serving.
- Enjoy your fresh healthy summer salad.
Share your own #coleslaw finds @Kitchology and @kitchenchick123.