How To Get Your Daring Fill Of Amazing Crammed Iceland Yogurt
I am really excited to share my discovery of Icelandic yogurt with you. Yes, this protein packed product is specific to the northern country. Skyr is yogurt-like, rich, creamy and low-fat. Besides it’s extremely high protein content it’s also an excellent source of calcium. There are several different Skyr yogurt brands out there. My personal preference is Siggis. Vegetarians take note… a serving, 1/3 of this type, has 28grams of protein and 20% calcium. How cow! That’s almost as much protein as in a 150gram salmon filet. I definitely urge you to run out and stock up your fridge with Skyr. Look for other recipes at Kitchology’s Eat.Better app too.
The Power of Skyr
There are so many different ways to enjoy Skyr. Use it as a breakfast base; my favorite way is with fruits, nuts and seeds. Want a tremendous power boost? Here is my Super Protein Acai bowl with Skyr.
1/3 box of Siggis Yogurt (or about 1 large cup of Skyr)
100 grams Acai Puree (you can also use a handful of frozen Acai berries)
1 small ripe banana
4-5 finely chopped Walnuts
1/2 tbsp Organic Honey
1tbsp Chia Seeds
- In a blender, add frozen fruits (Acai) and blend until pureed. (You can also buy them in puree packs.) Also, note, Skyr is naturally thick and difficult to repeatedly transfer to containers without losing valuable nutrients. That is why I avoid blending it with the frozen fruits.
- Scoop yogurt into a bowl. Add the frozen berries puree. Gently blend together with a spoon.
- Cut the banana in thin slices and add to the mixture.
- Sprinkle over with walnuts, chia seeds and honey.
- And-simple as that…serve and enjoy your protein rich bowl!
What are your favorite ways to delve deeper into Icelandic #yogurt? Share with us @Kitchology and @Kitchenchick123.
Stay healthy and keep on looking fresh!