Apples and protein — what a match!
Serve them cubed in a chef salad, bake them with pork chops and even turn them into a chutney for the top of salmon are just a few tidbits of inspiration.
Today, we’re going to warm your belly by pairing apples with beef and sweet potatoes in your new fall favorite stew. This is an easy throw it all in the crock-pot and go creation. Hours later, arrive to your stew’s ‘welcome back’ aroma hug greeting you at the door.
Beef and Apple Stew
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into cubes. Braeburn, Empire or Jonagold are all good choices.
- Place stew meat in the slow cooker. Toss with flour and salt.
- Add onion, carrots, sweet potato and apples. Sprinkle with seasonings, poured beef broth and apple juice over it.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve with biscuits.
What are you cooking with #apples? We’d love a bite. Please share @Kitchology and @Kitchenchick123.