Wishing your family a safe, happy Thanksgiving and enjoy these:
Top Ten Historical Thanksgiving Facts
- Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November in the USA.
- Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the second Monday in October in Canada.
- The Plymouth Pilgrims were the first to celebrate the Thanksgiving.
- They celebrated the first Thanksgiving Day in the fall of 1621.
- The Wampanoag Indians were the people who taught the Pilgrims how to cultivate the land.
- The Pilgrim leader, Governor William Bradford, had organized the first Thanksgiving feast in the year 1621 and invited the neighboring Wampanoag Indians also to the feast.
- The state of New York officially made Thanksgiving Day an annual custom in 1817.
- The annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade tradition began in the 1920's.
- Californians are the largest consumers of turkey in the USA.
- By the fall of 1621 only half of the pilgrims, who had sailed on the Mayflower, survived. The survivors, thankful to be alive, decided to hold a thanksgiving feast.