Talking of Labels: Fraud with Fish
- Mislabeling was found in 27 of the 46 fish types tested (59%).
- Salmon, snapper, cod, tuna, sole, halibut and grouper were the top collected fish types.
- Snapper (87%) and tuna (59%) were the most commonly mislabeled fish types.
- Only seven of the 120 red snapper samples were honestly labeled.
- Between one-fifth to more than one-third of the halibut, grouper, cod and Chilean seabass samples were mislabeled.
- 44% of all the grocery stores, restaurants and sushi venues visited sold mislabeled seafood.
- 84% of the white tuna samples were actually escolar, a species that can cause serious digestive issues for some individuals who eat more than a few ounces.
Could consumer input/pressure help? We should hope so.